Dateline: Schulenburg, Texas, September 9, 1955
Bids To Be Opened September 9 For Catholic School In Schulenburg
“Bishop Forest High School” is the Name of the New Catholic High School
Plans are nearing completion for the erection in Schulenburg of one of the most modern High School plants ever designed for the Southwest. Blueprints and specifications for the school, to be known as “Bishop Forest High School” were sent to prospective bidders about a month ago and bids will be opened in San Antonio on Friday, September 9. Bishop Forest High School, intended for Catholic pupils of the Weimar Deanery, is expected to be ready for occupancy by September 1956.
The entire framework of the building including the floor and roof slabs will be built of steel-reinforced concrete and the walls will be face brick, with the execption of the north and south walls of the classroom wing which are of continuous steel-sash windows extending from the floor to the ceiling. The interior walls will be of painted structural tile. The building will consist of three units, viz: The classroom wing, the Administrative wing and multi-purpose wing.
The classroom wing will contain, in addition to five regular classroooms, a Library-Study Hall with space for reading, work and book storage, a Science Department for instruction in Chemistry, Physics and Biology, a Home Economics Department with Food and Clothing Laboratories, a Lounge where students may gather for relaxation between periods of instruction and study, and rest-rooms.
The multi-purpose area may be used as a cafeteria, auditorium and gymnasium, having a stage and dressing-rooms and showers at one end and a fully equipped kitchen for cafeteria serving at the other end.
The Administrative Wing, which sets just back of the main entrance Terrace and Foyer, contains a Reception Room with business office and counter for Secretary with space for the filing and storage of records. Back of this secretarial section will be a study, lounge and work area with rest-rooms for the faculty members.
Along the front of the building will be a drive and walk which will enter from one street and exit on another.
The school will be built on the west side of an eleven acre tract of land which is situated on the south side of Black Street at the eastern edge of the city limits.
-The above article was provided courtesy of the Schulenburg Sticker.